Minnesota Wild 3-0 Anaheim Ducks
Niklas Backstrom was the story of the night. 34 saves, including a highlight-reel quality one on Chris Kunitz' shorthanded breakaway in the 3rd period. Backstrom is back in position, not giving up rebounds, and controlling the flow of the game. This needs to continue, no matter whether the team wants to sign or trade him.
Hockey Wilderness Three Stars
- Niklas Backstrom (34 shots, 34 saves)
- Mikko Koivu (1 G, 1 A)
- Andrew Brunette (1 G, 1 A)
Questions to Answer
- Can the Wild show some kind of consistency? Two games in a row they've gotten the lead, and the defense played a very strong game. They looked to be consistent throughout the game, which hasn't happened very frequently this season.
- Do they get payback for the shutout in January? Get shutout 3-0, come back the next time and shut them out 3-0. I'll take that.
- Can the Wild stop Corey Perry? Finally! The Wild stopped Perry from getting on the board.
- Do the new guys fit yet? Still no points, but Fritsche had 14:02 TOI. Olvecky however only had 7:09, which was below even Colton GIllies. Not too hard to see what Lemaire thinks of the youngster.
- Will Pierre-Marc Bouchard stay on this hot streak since the All-Star break? He did. He's really picked up his game.
- Owen Nolan, who has missed 19 games this season with various injuries, was scratched with muscle spasms in his upper body.
- Tonight was Backstrom's franchise-record sixth shutout of the season.
- Cal Clutterbuck drew two penalties and had seven hits in the first period.
- Koivu picked up his career high 35th assist.
The Game In Pictures