Minnesota Wild 1-5 Detroit Red Wings
Ick. That pretty much sums it up. That Calgary crushing feels so long ago. Watching the Red Wings tonight, you have a hard time understanding how they can be looking at the playoffs from the outside right now. That team has so much offensive talent, and can play so well, that they simply take over a game at will. At least against a team who looks to have packed it in.
Once again the Wild found themselves down early, as Johan Franzen got the home team on the board at the 2:25 mark of the first period. After that Tomas Holmstrom scored on the powerplay at 9:19. The Wild seemed to be ready to make a game of it as Andrew Ebbett scored with 11 seconds left in the first period, but that was as close as Minnesota would get. They amassed 12 shots in the first period, but only four in the second and five in the third, showing no signs that they were interested in getting into the game.
Only Darren Helm was a minus on the night for the Red Wings, whereas only John Scott was a plus. That pretty much tells the story. The Wild were outplayed, out hustled, out-shot, out-manned and out-classed tonight. If the rest of the teams above them go .500, the Wild have to finish 14-2. I'd say it's pretty much over.
While the loss was bad, and the way the Wild played was bad, the worst part was the fact that Niklas Backstrom tweaked his groin in the morning skate and Guillaume Latendresse was hit in the head by Brian Rafalski's stick early in the second period and had to be helped off the ice. No word yet as to either players status.
Please visit Winging It In Motown for the enemy perspective.
Hockey Wilderness Three:
- Johan Franzen ( 2 G)
- Henrik Zetterberg (1 G, 2 A)
- Tomas Holmstrom (1 G, 1 A)
Five Questions to Answer:
- The Red Wings sure like that extra point for losing in OT or the shootout. Any chance they try to get another one in OT tonight? Heh, we wish.
- Will the Wild actually show up tonight? No.
- Better TV viewing, Wild v. Red Wings or Minnetonka v. Lakeville North and Hill-Murray v. Duluth East? The high school games were much more interesting.
- How badly will HW be invaded tonight? Cue the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. It was a ghost town.
- If Brent Burns is injured in the forest and nobody notices, did it really happen? Well, tonight I think the entire team was in the forest.