Minnesota Wild 3-4 (so) Ottawa Senators
For the Ottawa Senators perspective, please visit Silver Seven
Stop me if you've heard this before. Wild get an early lead, go into a second period lull giving a momentum back to the opposition, come out in the third to regain or add to the lead then piss it all away before Niklas Backstrom is beaten badly in the shootout.
Fluke goal for Kyle Brodziak in the first giving the Wild a false sense of security, then a great power play goal by Devin Setoguchi, set up by Dany Heatley and Mikko Koivu. Up 2-0 after 1, down 16-12 in shots. Yes, they gave up 16 shots in the first period. Things only got worse from there. The second period was classic Minnesota Wild. Outshot 13-2, but again only gave up the garbage goal to Nick Foligno, but it was only a matter of time. Lucky to get out 2-1 ahead after 2. Then the third period, they came out fast, with Nick Johnson showing why he was picked up at 1:56, putting the Wild up 3-1. After that, it was all downhill. The wheels came off and came off good. Chris Neil's agitation increased tenfold after scoring to make it 3-2, then the Wild gave up the tying goal just 2:09 later on the power play to Colin Greening from a Marek Zidlicky high-stick. Erik Karlsson set up the goal, proving again why he was an all-star last year. Karlsson has five assists already in the young season. This kid is the real deal.
We then went to the shootout where Niklas Backstrom was beaten three times and Mikko Koivu wasn't able to convert, giving the Senators the win we all saw coming as the game went on.
Well, that pretty much sums up tonight.
Chris Neil was in the Wild's kitchen, pouring salt everywhere. I hope Brett Bulmer was taking notes.
Wild blew a two goal lead. Again. Lost in the shootout. Again. Backstrom sucked in the shootout. Again. Wild were massively outshot. Again. Home in the morning. Ugh.
The Bennett's Chop & Railhouse Stars of the Game:
- Chris Neil (1 G, 1 A, agitated the entire Wild team)
- Devin Setoguchi (1 G)
- Matt Cullen (1 G)
Remember, when you begin and end your night at Bennett's, you're the star! Easy parking, drink and food specials and a free shuttle to and from the Xcel Energy Center. Check them out at http://bennettschopandrailhouse.com/.
- The first line carried the play and created chances but couldn't finish. Does that change tonight? Well, they did get a power play goal, but didn't have the same presence they had in the first two.
- Matt Cullen is on a two game scoring streak and playing really well. Does he go three for three? Nope.
- Brett Bulmer looks better and better every shift. Is tonight the night he breaks through with his first career goal? -1 in 11:48, took a bad penalty but did draw a penalty.
- Game 1, outshot and won. Game 2, outshoot and lose. What happens tonight? 44-27. Still should've won. Vomit.
- Where is Marek Zidlicky? Can someone put out an APB please?