The vast majority of the readers of Hockey Wilderness are from inside the borders of the greatest state in the Union. For the rest of you, you'll just have to bear with us for a minute.
You see, Minnesota Hockey, the governing body managing youth hockey here in Minnesota, is running an essay contest for youth hockey players. The prize? A "dream Day" at the X for the winner and his or her teammates during the 2012-13 season, and the three finalists' essays will be featured on Hockey Day Minnesota on January 21st.
The contest is simple. Finish the sentence "I love to play hockey for ___________ hockey association because...." and give your reason in 250 words or less. It's perfect, really. Short essays by kids about why they love playing hockey. How much better can it get?
Full details... after the jump.
2012 Minnesota Hockey HEP Essay Contest is underway10/24/2011, 3:32pm (CDT) By Minnesota Hockey
"I love to play hockey for ________ hockey association because..." is this year's essay subject
Hockey players, put your stick down for a few minutes and grab a pen or pencil...the Minnesota Hockey HEP Essay Contest is back! The theme for the 2012 contest is "I love to play hockey for ______ hockey association because..." The community-based hockey model in Minnesota is unique and special. Wearing the colors of your community, whether its Virginia, Woodbury, Anoka, or Fergus Falls, and developing as a hockey player alongside your neighborhood friends and classmates is truly a Minnesota experience. Many point to Minnesota's community-based structure as one of the primary reasons why hockey flourishes in our state (the ice rink-friendly temperatures of December, January, and February help a bit too!). Let us know what you like about it!
2012 Minnesota Hockey HEP Essay Contest details
- Please complete this sentence in 250 words or less.
- A panel of judges will select three finalists and one of the finalists will be randomly selected to have a dream day with their teammates at the Xcel Energy Center during the 2012-13 season!
- The three final essays will be featured on Fox Sports North during the 2012 Hockey Day Minnesota Broadcast on January 21st, 2012. The random winner will also be announced during the 2012 Hockey Day Minnesota broadcast.
- In addition, all three finalists will have the opportunity to attend the Minnesota Wild v San Jose Sharks game on Tuesday, January 10th.
- The deadline to submit your essay is Wednesday, December 14th, 2011.
- Please direct any questions to email@example.com.
- Please mail your completed essay to the address below. Please be sure to include name, hockey association, team/level, address, phone #s, and email address with your entry.
Att: HEP Essay Contest
317 Washington St.St. Paul, MN 55102-1609
Tell your kids. Tell your neighbors' kids. Tell random kids on the ice rink near your house. Tell everyone. Flood them with entries. By the way, Wilderness... why do you love hockey?