Have you wanted to follow along with the game thread on Hockey Wilderness during the game, but the 3G hasn't been up to par? Tried to tweet other Wild fans or even chirp the back-biting Wild bloggers at the X but couldn't get online? Well have no fear! The Wild and AT&T have teamed up to enable you to get online, tweet, order food and get replays not shown on the scoreboard.
Frankly, this is very cool.
SAINT PAUL, MINN., Oct. 6, 2011 - How do you turn an ice rink into a hot spot? Just add AT&T Wi-Fi. Starting this season, Xcel Energy Center is the place to be for a personalized hockey fan experience. Minnesota Wild fans and visitors to the venue now have access to AT&T Wi-Fi from their seats, using any Wi-Fi enabled device. Xcel Energy Center is the first National Hockey League (NHL) venue to offer AT&T Wi-Fi. Inside the venue, there are 274 Wi-Fi access points covering seats, concession stands and concourse areas. Fans can easily connect to the AT&T Wi-Fi network, and visitors with an AT&T smartphone or device can automatically connect without any log in required. With the new Wi-Fi service, fans can customize their experience with Mywildnet.com, offering interactive features including:
"Our fans don't just watch the game anymore. They tweet about a great play, research player stats, and even post Facebook updates while cheering on the Wild," said Jim Ibister, Vice President, Facility Administration/General Manager, Saint Paul RiverCentre. "Deploying free AT&T Wi-Fi is our way of showing visitors that Xcel Energy Center is the ideal sports and entertainment venue for the ultimate fan." The enhancements at Xcel Energy Center are the latest examples of AT&T's commitment to providing superior service in the Twin Cities area. Since 2008, the company has:
- Food Ordering: Hungry fans can use the Bypass Lane mobile feature to locate vendors throughout Xcel Energy Center and even place food orders from their seats. Xcel Energy Center is the first venue in this market to use the Bypass Lane.
- Live In-Arena Instant Replays: Minnesota Wild fans attending a game at Xcel Energy Center can access instant replays not shown on TV or the center-hung scoreboard.
"One of the best sports venues in the country just got better," said Karolyn Kirchgesler, President and CEO for Visit Saint Paul. "AT&T's newly installed Wi-Fi Hotspot at Xcel Energy Center makes this facility second to none for in-game amenities for fans. Having these capabilities puts Saint Paul at a competitive advantage and demonstrates our commitment, as a city, to being a technology leader."
- Installed more than 80 new cell sites in the Twin Cities area
- Upgraded more than 60 additional cell sites for mobile broadband
- Invested nearly $280 million in its Minnesota wireless and wireline networks.