Yesterday, we looked at the Detroit Red Wings, and their need for some young talent. Wings fans showed up, and they apparently agree, as they selected Jonas Brodin who is... get this... a Swedish defenseman. Yeah, they went there. Well played. Losing Niklas Lidstrom is going to be tough on our friends to the east.
Alas, we move on from the Motor City. Our mock draft looks like this:
1. Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado Avalanche: Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida Panthers: Adam Larsson
4. New Jersey Devils: Sean Couturier
5. New York Islanders: Jonathan Huberdeau
6. Ottawa Senators: Ryan Strome
7. Winnipeg: Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus Blue Jackets: Dougie Hamilton
9. Boston Bruins: Ryan Murphy
10. Minnesota Wild: Sven Bartschi
11. Colorado Avalanche: Duncan Siemens
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Mark McNeill
13. Calgary Flames: Joel Armia
14. Dallas Stars: Zack Phillips
15. New York Rangers: Mark Scheifele
16. Buffalo Sabres: Nathan Beaulieu
17. Montreal Canadiens: Jamie Oleksiak
18. Chicago Blackhawks: Brandon Saad
19. Edmonton Oilers: Oscar Kelfbom
20. Phoenix Coyotes: Thomas Jurco
21. Ottawa Senators: Matthew Puempel
22. Anaheim Ducks: Alexander Khokhlachev
23. Pittsburgh Penguins: Rocco Grimaldi
24. Detroit Red Wings: Jonas Brodin
Looking at the talent in the Leafs organization, there is that one guy... and then there's the other guy. You know, the one with the skates?
Honestly, they do have some talent. James Reimer was just signed, taking him off the "prospect" list, but there is also Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, and Brad Ross. With Brian Burke at the helm, the organization will, no doubt, build up some insane amount talent and win fifty five Stanley Cups in a row. Sometimes, you want to hate the guy, and you just can't.
Right now, you get to step into Burke's shoes. Will it be a defenseman, a forward, or go way off the board and take a goalie? That's up to you. Cast your vote, and make your case in the comments.