The Dallas Stars had their choice of a multitude of players, many with strong offensive skill and many with outstanding two way games. The fans decided that the Stars needed a finisher, a garbage goal guy, a guy unafraid of the dirty areas. Wouldn't it have just been easier to sign Andrew Brunette?
Instead, the community selected Zack Phillips, a player some *cough* me *cough* and a few others have the Wild selecting at 10. His skating is the only knock against him. I hear it too many times for it to even mean anything any more. Saying a prospects skating is an issue is like listening to a car alarm in a parking lot. It should mean pay attention, but no one ever does.
Great pick for the Stars at fourteen.
Our mock draft thus far:
1. Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado Avalanche: Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida Panthers: Adam Larsson
4. New Jersey Devils: Sean Couturier
5. New York Islanders: Jonathan Huberdeau
6. Ottawa Senators: Ryan Strome
7. Atlanta Thrashers: Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus Blue Jackets: Dougie Hamilton
9. Boston Bruins: Ryan Murphy
10. Minnesota Wild: Sven Bartschi
11. Colorado Avalanche: Duncan Siemens
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Mark McNeill
13. Calgary Flames: Joel Armia
14. Dallas Stars: Zack Phillips
Next on the list is the New York Rangers, and hey, guess what? Jere Sallinen is still available.
The New York Rangers are the crown jewel of the NHL's media plan. Sure, the Habs and the Leafs are probably better at making the league money, but without the New York market, the NHL ratings would tank, and there would be some major issues. Same gos for the Rangers not being very good. If the Rags stink, the market doesn't watch, and ratings can suffer. Maybe they didn't dip into panic territory this year, but stretch it out, and they will.
To prevent that, Glen Sather is going to need talent. Of course, he'll probably just trade it away or bury them in the AHL once they show they are an NHL talent and he signs a terrible contract with them. However, before they can botch the development, they need to draft someone.
Reminder... Jere Sallinen is still available.