The Sabres had a chance to add some offensive talent to a prospect pool ripe with defensive talent, yet chose to do just the opposite. If our mock draft holds true, the Sabres will add another defensive stud to the likes of Mark Pysyk, Brayden McNabb, Marc-Andre Gragnani... let's just say there's a bunch of them.
Now there's another. With the sixteenth pick, the Buffalo Sabres have fake taken Nathan Beaulieu.
1. Edmonton Oilers: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. Colorado Avalanche: Gabriel Landeskog
3. Florida Panthers: Adam Larsson
4. New Jersey Devils: Sean Couturier
5. New York Islanders: Jonathan Huberdeau
6. Ottawa Senators: Ryan Strome
7. Winnipeg: Mika Zibanejad
8. Columbus Blue Jackets: Dougie Hamilton
9. Boston Bruins: Ryan Murphy
10. Minnesota Wild: Sven Bartschi
11. Colorado Avalanche: Duncan Siemens
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Mark McNeill
13. Calgary Flames: Joel Armia
14. Dallas Stars: Zack Phillips
15. New York Rangers: Mark Scheifele
16. Buffalo Sabres: Nathan Beaulieu
Next up, the Montreal Canadiens. Make the jump and help the Habs. They need it.
Looking at the top prospects in the Habs organization, I am betting they aren't happy Beaulieu is off the board. If the Sabres have a boat load of defensive prospects, the Habs have just the one in Jarred Tinordi. The prospects in the forward ranks aren't exactly spectacular either, as the Habs suffer a similar fate to the Wild with the consistent mediocrity taking away high picks and robbing the organization of top end talent.
Now, the Canadiens get another mid-round pick to add more mid-round talent to the stable. Who will it be? Will it be the speedy Russian who is now in free fall, Alex Khokhlachev? Or one of the true mid rounders in Tyler Jensen, Ty Biggs, or Matt Puempel? Do they start to fill in for a lack of defensive picks with Jamie Oleksiak or Jonas Brodin?
You know what to do.