Last week Friday, Feb 10, in the discussion about Staubitz hitting waivers (the only thing that guy seems to be able to hit) I made a joke that the Wild had a better shot at ending up with a top 5 draft pick than making the playoffs this year. You can go back and find the reply in that post... I wrote out a whole chart for the non-playoff positions teams, their current points, recent record, etc. At the time, the Wild were sitting in the 12th pick spot.
Well, I've decided to do a little weekly draft slot update, as it seems that he Wild might just make a run at my off the cuff prediction. Basically, how low (in the number of the final draft pick) can they go? For the record, I am still predicting a #8 pick for the Wild.
After the jump, check out the current standings (1st pick through the current Wild position, with points, recent record, change, and upcoming games).
We have: Team : Games Played : total points : Last 10 Record : Next 3 games (bold = against team on this chart)
1. Columbus (- no change): 57gp : 40 pts (+4 since last): "Last 10" 4-6-0 : Next 3 Chi - NyR - SJ
2. Edmonton (-) : 56gp : 50 pts (+3) : 5-3-2 : Colo - Van - Cgy
3. Carolina (-) : 57gp : 53pts (+3) : 5-1-4 : SJ - NYI - Was
4. Buffalo (+2) : 56gp : 54pts (+2) : 5-4-1 : Phil - MON - Pitt
5. Tampa Bay (+2) : 56gp : 54pts (+2) : 5-3-2 : SJ - Was - ANH
6. Montreal (+2) : 58gp : 56pts (+3) : 5-4-1 : BUFF - NJ - Dal
7. New York Isl (-2) : 56gp : 56pts (+4) : 5-3-2 : St.L - CAR - Ott
8. Anaheim (-4) : 57gp : 57pts (+7) : 6-2-2 : NJ - Flor - TAMPA
9. Winnipeg (+1) : 58gp : 58pts (0) : 4-6-0 : WILD - Bos - Colo
10. WILD (+2) : 56pg: 58pts (0) : 3-6-1 : WIN - St.L - Bos
Teams that have "fallen" past the Wild: Calgary, Colorado
Look at Carolina. They have points in 9 of their last 10 games. Anaheim, as everyone has noticed, is currently on an absolute tear. The Wild are currently 4 pts out of the 5 spot and 5 points and a game out of a top 3 pick.