Hello, welcome the third update of the MN Wild's weekly Draft Pick watch. The past week featured a big win over Boston and an even rarer occurrence... a SO win that featured not only a PP goal but also Backstrom with a perfect SO. Crazy things happen this time of year. Talking about crazy check out those Blue Jackets... they've now undersold both Antoine Vermette and, yesterday, Jeff Carter.
Well, after the jump lets take a look at this weeks draft pick standings. You'll notice that things haven't changed much, with the exception of Tampa Bay cooling off and starting to sell, and Columbus trying to convince the world that they found a shortcut to the other side of the world... to a competitive hockey team... by selling Jeff Carter for Jack Johnson and what will likely be a 12th to 18th draft pick.
We have: Team : Games Played : Total Points : Last 10 Record : Next 3 games (bold = against team on this chart)
1. Columbus (- no change) : 60gp : 43pts (+3 since last) : "Last 10" 5-4-1 : Colo - @Pitts - Det
2. Edmonton (-) : 60gp : 54pts (+4) : 5-4-1 : Pho - @ Wini - St.L
3. Montreal (+3) : 61gp : 58pts (+2) : 5-4-1 : @Wash - @Fla - @ Tamp Bay
4. Carolina (-1) : 61gp : 58pts (+5) : 5-2-3 : Fla - Nash - NYR
5. NY Islanders (+2) : 60gp : 58pts (+2) : 4-5-1 : NYR - @Ott - @Wash
6. Buffalo (-2) : 60gp : 59pts (+5): 5-3-2 : Bos - @NYR - @Anah
7. Tampa Bay (-2) : 60gp : 60pts (+6) : 5-4-1 : @Pitt - @NJ - Mon
8. Anaheim (-) : 61pg : 62pts (+5) : 7-1-2 : Chi - Colo - Buff
9. WILD (+1) : 60gp : 63pts (+5) : 3-5-2 : @Dal - SJ - LA
10. Washington (na) : 60gp : 63pts (-) : 3-6-1 : Mon - @Tor - NYI
Other teams to note: Winnipeg played 5 games since I did the last one of these and racked up 9 points, going from drafting 9th to in first place in their division. Colorado (64pts) and Toronto (65pts) are only sitting just outside of this chart and trending toward it.
Carolina, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, and Anaheim continue to bring home points, but this week the Wild did the same. This week will be an interesting one for the Wild as they are playing 3 teams just above them in the race for the playoffs. LA has already made their big trade, bringing in Carter. Dallas blinked at the Carter trade but are 3-1-1 in their last 5 are at home but they also played last night in Chicago. San Jose are 1-3-1 in their last 5, they play us on the 2nd game of a back to back (coming from Nash)... but will they have a shiny new Nash the day before the deadline?
For the record, two weeks ago I predicted that the Wild would draft 8th. Right now, I am holding to that prediction. I think the next 2 games (4 days) might weigh heavily on what really happens.