Scoring for Minnesota in the first was Kaptain Mikko Koivu, with assists by Jonas Brodin and Ryan Suter, on a nice little backdoor pass that Steve Mason had zero chance of stopping. Brodin made his first rookie mistake and almost helped Columbus score on Niklas Backstrom, but luckily Backstrom was paying attention and made the save. Shortly after that Gilbert scored his SECOND goal of the season, with assists by the Kaptain and Clayton Stoner.
The second line had a few nice plays during the second period. Matt Cullen took a beautiful pass by Devin Setoguchi at the beginning of the second that almost resulted in that lines first goal. The team really looked like a team during the second, with Gilbert hustling like he’s the 19 year old defenseman, passes being made between line mates, and all in all some really good shots on goal. Then the Blue Jackets got on the scoreboard with a goal by Mark Letestu. It look like Parise scored, but after review that goal was taken away because he punched it in with his hand. The period ended with the Wild up 2-1, and the shot lead of 22-8.
The third period was full of the familiar "New" Wild. Lots of penalties. Powe took a penalty for boarding, followed by a penalty by Granlund that lead to a game tying goal for the Blue Jackets by Jack Johnson. Gilbert than got a penalty for knocking the puck out of play. Late in the third momentum switched back to the Wild;s favor, and Pierre-Marc Bouchard scored a beautiful goal from Mitchell. The 2nd and 3rd liners stepped it up a bit to make that happen. Butch was also granted a penalty shot right after that goal, but failed to score on it. Parise then got called for hooking with about 4 minutes left in the game. The wild were able to pull out the win in regulation. Fucking yeah kids!
Five Questions and Answers:
- Can Todd Richards figure out which line goes on the ice when? He sort of did. Thank god he's not here anymore.
- Does Zach Parise continue to impress? Good God, this kid is a beast. Never quits. It's insane. Thank you thank you thank Leopold for buying him in the off-season
- Paging Ryan Suter. Will Mr. Suter answer the white courtesy phone? Suter stepped it up this game. He looked GOOD with Brodin for most of the night
- Can the Wild find their game at home? Hell yeah they did
- Anyone from the bottom 9 care to show up? Butch came up huge! Cullen was busting his ass most of the night as well