From boo's to 2 minutes of solid cheers, what a game!
Wow. What a game. The Wild won, in regulation, after being down by 2 just 20 seconds into the 2nd period. With a rookie goaltender who only found out that he was playing during warm ups, and a large majority of the team battling the flu (for the second time this season by the way). This had Cinderella story written all over it.
The first period, per usual, was really rough for the Wild. Damien Brunner scored around the half mark in the first with a pass from Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. The Wild looked out of sorts all period, and honestly I went into the first intermission with a bad feeling about the game.
Zetterberg scored at the beginning of the second to bring the lead up to 2, but after that Darcy Kuemper and the Minnesota defense were in shut down mode. Dany Heatley score from Mikko Koivu and Zach Parise at the halfway point of the period, followed by Jason Zucker’s amazing goal just 4 minutes later. Torrey Mitchell added the GWG 32 seconds after that. 3-2 for the Wild at the end of the 2nd.
The third period was all Wild. There weren’t any goals, but there the Wild were off to the races and never looked back. The period was almost entirely Wild controlled.
- Is Jason Zucker the key they needed? He sure did help tonight
- How does Larsson look in his NHL debut? Pretty good. No goal, but he was fast and looked comfortable, which was what the team needed
- Can primary and secondary scoring happen in the same game? Yes, yes it can! Goals form the 1st, 2nd and 4th line tonight. That 3rd line though, what a bunch of slackers
- Anyone care to win a game?
- This Brodin kid looks legit. First goal tonight? Na, not tonight. Hopefully his wrist/hand is alright though :(
There were some things that need to be worked on, but tonight we bask in the glory of a wonderful regulation win that no one thought was going to happen. And enjoy a ridiculously beautiful 1st NHL goal by Zucker (Big thanks to @Fel0096 for the video!)
This one is from the Wild's webpage and has a bit more of the set-up in it