With Drew Bagnall leaving the Minnesota Wild organization, the Iowa Wild will look for their first captain in team history.
Right now, there are probably two possibilities. The number one would be Carson McMillan. Leadership is an important part of his game and he mentioned " it could happen " in a recent interview with Joe O'Donnell. You can listen it here.
Another option could be Chad Rau. Rau was alternate captain with Colorado College back in the 2008-2009 season. He also was alternate captain with the Aeros under John Torchetti's short reign.
If he didn't sign a one year AHL contract with the Grand Rapids Griffins, David McIntyre could have been another possibility. By the way, that's definitely a big loss to the team.
Despite that the roster is likely not 100% complete yet, these two players should be legitimate candidates. One thing for sure, the final decision will be up to the new head coach Kurt Kleinendorst and the staff.
Speaking of the Iowa Wild, here are some news and notes:
- The AHL schedule was released last Thursday. Here's the detailed Wild schedule. Opening night will be on October 12th, 7:05 pm at Wells Fargo Arena against the Oklahoma City Barons.
- The Wild named the former NHL player Steve Poapst assistant coach two weeks ago. They also added Tim Flynn as video coach.
- Corbin Baldwin agreed to a one year contract. He played 38 games with the Orlando Solar Bears and 4 games with the Houston Aeros last season. Baldwin will also participate to the Traverse City Tournament starting on September 5th.
- The 2013-2014 season will be rather special for Raphael Bussieres and Tyler Graovac. Both will make their professional debuts. Another one might be Kurtis Gabriel, but it's still unclear at this point where he's going to play next season.
- Johan Gustafsson will make his Wild debut next season. It's something that we are, without a doubt, all looking forward. He'll share the net with Darcy Kuemper.
- Jarod Palmer has retired and now is head coach of the Sugar Land Imperials in the NA3HL.