HOCKEY WILDERNESS, An SBN Minnesota Wild Blog
To: All Hockey Wilderness Readers
Date: August 30, 2010
RE: Protecting players in SBN Expansion Draft
We have reached a stand still in the negotiations with the league, and despite our best efforts to prevent expansion, they insist that the plans will go through, and that our list of protected players is due by Thursday. The Commissioner's Office informs us that if we choose to continue our protest, and do not submit our list, we will lose prime talent in the expansion draft.
For the record, the rules are as follows:
- Teams can protect either "1 goalie, 5 defensemen and 9 forwards" OR "2 goalies, 3 defensemen and 7 forwards."
- If you go the two goalie route, at least one goalie left unprotected must have played in at least 10 games last season OR 25 games in the last two seasons combined. One game = at least 31 minutes.
- Each team must leave unprotected at least one defenseman who appeared in 40 games last season OR 70 games in the last two seasons combined.
- Each team must leave unprotected at least two forwards who appeared in 40 games last season OR 70 games in the last two seasons combined.
- Players who have played in 49 or fewer games are automatically exempt and do not need to be protected.
Please note that the franchise is not required to protect the full number of players. Please make your recommendations below, and we will take your suggestions into consideration. If possible, please provide reasons for your selections for the list, or non-selections. Also note that you are, indeed, allowed to protect James Sheppard.
Thank you all for working with us to convince the league that expansion was not needed, but we must now move forward or risk losing much needed talent.
Remember, we need to have our list in to the league by Thursday. No late submissions will be accepted.
Hockey Wilderness Office of Vengeful Beatings