Minnesota Wild 3 - 2 Phoenix Coyotes (SO)
For Phoenix perspective, please visit Five For Howling.
What can you say? As was mentioned in the game thread, it's tough to be mad about a win. Yes, the team really needs to lose, but you are never going to convince professional athletes to do so. They want to win, and tonight they did. For better or for worse, they did. It pulls them out of the Dive for Top Five, but likely only temporarily. We'll see as it goes forward.
In a game that saw the Wild skate a man short, skate with another (Devin Setoguchi) clearly ill, saw Josh Harding leave injured, and against a team playing for their playoff lives, it would have been another game that a loss would have been forgivable. A win? That has to be tasty for the players and brass. If nothing else, it's nice they can smile for the night.
Tom Gilbert was a +2 (!) in over 31 minutes TOI. Steven Kampfer scored a goal and had 31:29 TOI. Marco Scandella put in 31:11. The result is not good for the draft board, but it is a gutty win, and one the players are likely going to savor. Far be it from us to try to take that away from him. The Dive can wait for a night. Still plenty of hockey to play. For tonight, enjoy the win. There may not be many for the rest of the season.
And... Dany Heatley scored in the shootout. The Mayans look more and more right everyday.'
The Bennett's Chop & Railhouse Stars of the Game:
- Steven Kampfer (1G, 31:29 TOI)
- Kyle Brodziak (1G)
- Josh Harding (24 for 24 before being pulled)
- When does this "puck moving" start? Well, the two puck movers played over half the game, and the team won. Maybe it started tonight?
- How big is a moose? Big. Scary big.
- What kind of pie is the best? Clearly banana creme is the best. I have no stats to back that up, and is purely my opinion.
- Taylor Hall. Draft flop, or biggest draft flop? Alexandre Daigle still walks the earth, so Hall remains just another flop. Or... JAF for short.
- Who puts hockey in the desert? Not sure, but at least they have good people cheering for them.