Well, this game was certainly a tough pill to swallow. The Avalanche are arguably one of the worst teams in the NHL right now, especially with their top line and top pairing out injured. Somehow, the Wild manage to allow the Avs to run the scoreboard on the game and leave everyone with broken hearts on Valentine’s Day. It seems like every time the Wild get things started someone makes a dumb mistake or lets up their guard and POOF, disaster.
Say what you want about Dany Heatley, the fact of the matter is that when he wasn’t on the top line it wasn’t scoring. Put him back on the top line and they produced two goals tonight. That’s about all I can come up with at this point.
For actual information about the game, Aaron Palushaj recorded his first goal of the season in the 2nd from Steve Jones and Paul Stastny, followed by a goal from Zach Parise assisted by Mikko Koivu and Heatley. The Avs scored towards the end of the 2nd on the powerplay with a goal by Milan Hejduk from Jamie McGinn and Tyson Barrie. Mike Rupp scored in the 3rd from Mikael Granlund, and then Koivu would put the Wild ahead for the first time of the game from Heatley and Ryan Suter. The Avs would score 46 seconds later with a goal from Matt Duchene from PA Parenteau and Shane O’Brien (took a weird bounce off Jared Spurgeon to go in). Finally, Parise and Koivu would be denied in the SO, while Hejduk and Duchene would both score.
Finally, the refs were horrible all game. Blatant uncalled penalties on both sides.The Wild lost Cal Clutterbuck after taking a high stick to the face in the first that went uncalled. He tried to return in the second, and ended up needing to leave the game entirely. This is really bad news for the Wild if it's an injury that will keep him out of the lineup.
- Can the Wild score more than one goal in a game? Hey, they did that!
- Is the X the cure for what ails them? Not even close
- Can the top line score a goal? Two of them actually
- Anyone not on the top pairing care to play some defense? Well….Justin Falk needs to go. And Clayton Stoner...not a good game for him. And he hasn’t had many lately
- Anyone have any good excuses for why the Wild suck right now? Obviously it’s because Koivu is still captain. DUH. (not even remotely serious for people who are randomly stopping by)