After last nights debacle in San Jose, your Minnesota Wild find themselves in sunny So Cal for the 2nd of back to back games. Tonight's match up against the Los Angeles Kings is the 2nd of 3 games against the Kings this season. The Wild's last game against the Kings came March 30th back at the X where your squad were victorious in a shootout, winning 4 - 3.
Dany Heatley was injured after the final horn last night after he was slashed by San Jose Defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic (side note, I'm a huge fan of pickles, not so much this guy). Vlasic was awarded the maximum fine for this infraction, and will be donating $8,378.38 to the league.
The Los Angeles Kings all-time vs the Minnesota Wild are 20-13-12 including a 10-7-5 record against the Wild at the Staples Center. The Kings, like any team in the league this time of year, have some injuries of their own they are dealing with. Defenseman Matt Greene, who has been out since back surgery after the first game of the season, has started skating with the Kings, but will not likely return to the lineup until late in the season. Fancy that, the Wild play the kings in the final week of the season too.
It appears the Kings will also be without Dustin Penner who was placed on IR this past Monday (retroactive to Sunday) who apparently hurt himself eating a stack of delicious pancakes. A timetable for his return is not available, but if its anything like me last time I ate some pancakes, he's in for quite the nap at the very least (i kid, i kid).
Your Minnesota Wild are coming off a 4 - 2 loss in San Jose where they also lost Dany Heatley, which we already discussed so we'll move along. Tonight we will see the fruits of Fletchers labor on trade deadline day when Jason Pominville will make his season debut in a Minnesota Wild Sweater. Pominville will wear #29 and skate on "The Captains" line with Parise and Koivu. In 37 games this season for Buffalo PomPom has 10 goals and 15 assists for 25 points and brings a great work ethic to a top line that is already chalked full of it.
Their are just 12 games remaining (including tonight) in this short season, it is time to start making that playoff push. A win on the road would be a great help towards the cause of getting to the 2nd season. Its a late game, so put some coffee on (or your favorite adult beverage) and lets get this train back on the tracks!
Lets Go Streaking!
- Justin Williams for the Kings is riding a 4 game goal streak (4 goals / 4 games) coming into tonight's game.
- Dany Heatley (injured) for the Wild will put on pause his 2 game goal streak (2 goals / 2 games)
- Jonas Brodin for the Wild brings a 2 game assist streak into tonight's contest (2 asst / 2 games)
- Minnesota Wild have won last 2 games that were the 2nd of back to back contests (4-2-0 overall this season)
- Minnesota Wild have allowed the first goal in their last 4 games.
- Will Pominville have an instant impact on the top line tonight?
- Can the Wild put last nights mess behind them and get a win on the road?
- Will Ryan Suter remember how to play defense tonight?
- Can we score first for once?
- Can the Wild shut down Anze Kopitar? (23 pts in last 22 games, 6-17--23)