It’s the NHL trade deadline! By 2:00 p.m. this afternoon all general managers will need to have submitted their trades to the league and after that, nothing until the Stanley Cup has been handed out.
We have seen so much action over the last five or so days — Timo Meier, Patrick Kane, Mattias Ekholm, Vladislav Gavrikov, Tanner Jeannot, Jesse Puljujarvi, etc. — but there are still some big names on the block that should be moved in the coming hours.
It’s a time to not think about work and just sit in front of the computer all day looking at the trades roll in.
- We played a little game and asked you all on Twitter for some mock trades you would like to see our Minnesota Wild make. We then turned and graded them on how realistic they were, if they made financial sense, and if it made the team better. [Hockey Wilderness]
- The Wild recently had an insane run of killing penalties and we directly saw how it impacted games. [Hockey Wilderness]
- Wild locked up center prospect Hunter Haight to his three-year, entry-level contract. [Hockey Wilderness]
- A podcast conjured up a Jakob Chychrun-to-the-Wild trade. [10K Rinks]
Off the trail...
- A lot of players are going out to the East Coast and the New York Rangers and Boston Bruins are the teams to beat. [ESPN]
- The Detroit Red Wings quickly turned the ship around before the trade deadline. While fighting for a playoff spot, they lost two consecutive games to the Ottawa Senators and decided to pack up and think about next year by trading Filip Hronek and Tyler Bertuzzi. [Defector]