- The Minnesota Wild were rumored to be in the newly-aligned Pacific Division with the California team, among others, but new reports from Pierre Lebrun, have changed that. According to him, the Wild will now be participating in a “Central” division with some normal Eastern Conference teams. [Hockey Wilderness]
Not finalized yet, and still subject to change, but the 2020-21 four-division re-alignment currently looks like this according to sources:— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) December 9, 2020
The change from the original rumored division appears to be due to a request coming from the Wild and the St. Louis Blues. Originally the 2019 Stanley Cup champions were set to join the newly-formed Central division, but it was the team and broadcast partners joining forces to make the request to the league. While the Wild certainly did not love those Pacific start times, surely.
Further clarification, as there's some pushback.— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) December 10, 2020
My understanding is that Blues communicated to NHL that everyone on their end was on board with desire to move to West Div - including RSN.
RSN didn't push for move, but was OK with it. So "preferred" here was a bit too strong. https://t.co/rXs2tB5Syp
- It’s time to put your money where your mouth is, as Kirill Kaprizov is a top betting favorite to win the Calder Trophy. [Hockey Wilderness]
- After his breakout season, it is hard to justify not having Kevin Fiala as the top of our Top 25 Under 25 list. So there he is. [Hockey Wilderness]
Off the trail...
- More affidavits outlining serial abuse of all kinds ongoing through the past few decades in the CHL has been made public. Warning: This is a very hard read with painful details of traumatic events. [TSN]
- The Vegas Golden Knights are wanting to cut some cap and winger Max Pacioretty — after leading the team in goals last season — is on the trade block. What teams should really take a run to get him? [ProHockeyTalk]
- Forbes released the 2020 valuations of each NHL franchise, so now we can say, “my team is worth more than yours,” and mean it. Some freaks. [Forbes]