- To start the top three of our 2020 Top 25 Under 25 ranking, top prospect and 2020 first-rounder Marco Rossi has earned himself the No. 3 spot. Hype and all. [Hockey Wilderness]
- In his mid-offseason media availability Minnesota Wild GM Bill Guerin went into detail about multiple things: players arriving for training in St. Paul, the prospects at Boston College, and the captain vacancy.
Guerin says there's no timetable to name a #mnwild captain yet. Nothing in the next couple weeks unless camp were to start.— Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) December 3, 2020
"It's important the captain is somebody everybody respects, shows up every night, has the team's best interest at heart & somebody you can count on."
- For the Wild to find success next season, they will need Kevin Fiala, Kirill Kaprizov, and goaltender Cam Talbot to be difference makers. [ProHockeyTalk]
Off the trail...
- In totally unexpected news, six possible NHL teams have floated around the idea of playing all of their home games in an outdoor space. The Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins, Anaheim Ducks, and Los Angeles Kings are the four that have reportedly been more open to the idea, according to Elliotte Friedman. [Sportsnet]
- While other prospects are gearing up for the 2021 World Juniors, New York Rangers forward and 2020 first-overall pick Alexis Lafreniere will not be participating for Team Canada at the upcoming winter tournament. Better news for the U.S. [Blueshirt Banter]
- In related news, New Jersey Devils forward Jack Hughes will not be playing for the U.S.A. So it all evens out, sort of. [CBS Sports]
- In terms of players that are participating in the tournament, Canadian forward and Kings prospect Quinton Byfield is excited about his first NHL training camp, but is still focused on the World Juniors. [Sportsnet]
- There have been multiple conversations between the NHL and NHLPA in the last few days and it looks like they’re staying optimistic about an early January start date.
The NHL still hopes to drop the puck in early January, which is a month away. A league source said this morning the target date hasn't shifted and that talks with the NHLPA continue. But my own two cents, given the Covid numbers, is that season may be further delayed. We'll see.— Pierre LeBrun (@PierreVLeBrun) December 1, 2020