- With the Minnesota Wild acquiring defenseman Ian Cole from the Colorado Avalanche, an instant connection was made between GM Bill Guerin and the newest member of his team. As the former AGM of the Pittsburgh Penguins, there is an extensive knowledge of a player that Guerin was able to win a couple of championships with on his blue line. Now in Minnesota, he recognizes that Cole is someone that can contribute to what the Wild hope to be this season. [The Athletic]
- Are you wondering why the Wild made the Ian Cole trade, beyond Guerin’s familiarity? Well we got you covered. [Hockey Wilderness]
- The NWHL bubble to crown a new Isobel Cup champion is almost here and we have broken down the Minnesota Whitecaps’ schedule. [Hockey Wilderness]
- Will Carson Soucy be someone the Seattle Kraken will target in their expansion draft? [10K Rinks]
- Kirill Kaprizov is amazing, duh. [ProHockeyTalk]
Off the trail...
- Just like the other professional sports leagues on this continent, COVID-19 is having its effect on the NHL. A day after the Carolina Hurricanes have postponed their games until Jan. 23 due to at least four positive cases, the Washington Capitals have been fined $100,000 for a couple of protocol breaks after players spent time with each other in their hotel rooms and some of their stars have been put on the list.
January 21, 2021
- New Jersey Devils youngster Jack Hughes teaches us really what it means to be a player in the National Hockey League.
Jack Hughes' words of wisdom @NJDevils | #NJDevils pic.twitter.com/FBRBaNbija— Devils on MSG (@DevilsMSGN) January 20, 2021
- Heralded as a high-flying offensive team, the Edmonton Oilers demonstrated a capability to win extremely ugly during last night’s victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs. [ProHockeyTalk]