- The Minnesota Wild are getting some new addition for the NHL’s COVID-19 protocol list. Victor Rask is off of it, but Cam Talbot and Jonas Brodin have been added. This makes a total of 12 active roster players representing the Wild.
#mnwild’s Cam Talbot, Jonas Brodin added to NHL COVID-19 protocol— Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) February 9, 2021
Forwards: Bjugstad, Bonino, Eriksson Ek, Foligno, Johansson, Sturm
Defensemen: Brodin, Cole, Hunt, Soucy, Spurgeon
Rask taken off
Injured: Dumba, Zuccarello, Spurgeon, Johansson, Stalock, Rossi
- Wild legend Mikko Koivu decided to hang up his skates after a handful of games played for the Columbus Blue Jackets. [Hockey Wilderness]
- With Koivu leaving the NHL, should the Wild retire his No. 9? [Hockey Wilderness]
- What have we learned about Minnesota so far this season? [10K Rinks]
Off the trail...
- Yesterday was an extremely eventful day in the NHL, so let’s try and catch you up. Firstly, after benching newly acquired winger Patrik Laine in the third period, John Tortorella might be wanting his own way out of Columbus.
Aaron Portzline, who covers the Blue Jackets for The Athletic, telling @TonyMarinaro on TSN 690 a minute ago that he thinks John Tortorella might want out of Columbus himself, which could be why he benched Patrik Laine last night for the entire third period.— Stu Cowan (@StuCowan1) February 9, 2021
- After Jim Rutherford unexpectedly left the team, the Pittsburgh Penguins hired a duo of Ron Hextall and Brian Burke to lead their hockey operations. What a team. [Pensburgh]
- The Buffalo Sabres have return to team practice after a lengthy break due to an outbreak, but head coach Ralph Krueger is not with them. The bench boss is experiencing symptoms after testing positive for COVID-19. [WGRZ]
- Up in Canada, telecommunications corporation Bell snatched away some significant sports radio stations, leaving hundreds unemployed, just a week after their mental health campaign. Stations in Vancouver, Winnipeg and Hamilton were shutdown without notice. [The Province]
- Joining the Wild in teams that are on a break because of some positive tests, the Philadelphia Flyers added a couple more big names, including captain Claude Giroux, to the league’s protocol list. Last night’s game against the Washington Capitals was postponed as well. [Broad Street Hockey]